Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Daily Show on Steve Stanton

Last night, The Daily Show did an unbelievably entertaining piece on the firing of Steve Stanton - the former Largo City Manager who was dismissed after a local newspaper revealed his plans to undergo a MTF sex change.

Mr. Stanton's firing was nothing more than a witch-hunt, and The Daily Show definitely captured the homophobic flavor of the affair.

Here is a partial transcript (although we recommend that you watch the re-run tomorrow morning/night):

Rob Riggle (correspondent): When 'Steve' announced that he was going to become 'Susan,' 'Steve' found himself out of a job.

Steve Stanton: I was fired because I'm a...uh...transgendered individual.

Rob Riggle: That's a charge Largo city leaders strongly deny.

Robert E. Jackson (Fmr. Largo City Mayor): You see, Steve was fired because people lost the trust in him. Transgendered had nuthin' to do with it.

Rob Riggle: Okay. If Steve Stanton walked into your office in a dress, and said: 'I wanna be your city manager, P.S: I'm cutting my penis off?'

Robert E. Jackson: ...I would say, 'please give me your resignation today. I don't think...that behavior - of cross-dressing - is in the best interest of the City of Largo.'

Rob Riggle: After fourteen years of service, positive feedback, multiple raises, and good reviews, you gotta go?

Robert E. Jackson: You better believe it.

Rob Riggle: Well what if he wore a pantsuit? Look at Hillary: it's working for her!

Robert E. Jackson: No! I don't wanna know what goes on in your bedroom, or wherever it is they get together...I guess the bathroom or the parks or something...

Rob Riggle: You heard it from the Mayor: if you like anonymous sex, come to the bathroom in the Largo City Park.

2 comments:

  1. I am beyond appalled at the mayor's "bathroom in the park comment". I am just beside myself in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to Candace: Largo's real mayor said nothing of the sort; she was one of 2 on the commission that supported Stanton.

    ReplyDelete